Almost 6 Months Post-Op

 I am really tired of orthopedic surgeons hiding behind the whole "not as much is known about PCL injuries bc it's not as common of a knee injury" thing.  There's a lack of consensus.  Since the invention of modern PCL braces, starting with the Jack PCL brace, outcomes by conservative and operative means have improved dramatically.  By 2020, it's widely agreed that the best brace for the task is the Ossur Rebound PCL brace, as it exerts a anterior dynamic force on the tibia, which protects the healing and remodelling ligament.  Basically, to call any brace (besides the Jack PCL, Medi M.4 PCL or Ossur Rebound PCL brace) is dishonest, as they pretty much don't do anything.  Don't believe the hype.  If you have an injured PCL, you need one of those three braces, not an ACL brace with an extra pad.  That just doesn't cut the mustard.

I know a lot about PCL braces now, as early on in my recovery from PCL and posterolateral corner reconstruction, I was given the wrong brace.  My surgeon was initially pissed at his PA for getting me the wrong brace, and now is trying to backtrack and say it hasn't affected my recovery.  Told me he'd get me the correct brace and it's been a month and still don't have it.  Bout to hop online and buy the Medi PCL brace.  My level of disappointment is absurd, as I'm already back to grade III laxity with no end in sight.  Numbness and weakness all along the peroneal nerve course.  New crunching.  Basically, I feel like they fucked me.  There's new research coming out about healing the PCL conservatively using the Ossur Rebound PCL brace.  If you have a PCL injury, your first course of action should be to get yourself a good PCL brace.  Not an ACL brace with extra padding.  Those have shown poor results with regards to residual laxity and overall function.  Across the world, they're only using braces specifically built to protect and heal the PCL.  Also, if you have been told you have ACL laxity, make sure to double check you don't actually have a PCL injury, as that's what happened to me, and the subsequent hamstring dominant PT regime only served to further stretch out my PCL.  I swear to god I have the most chronically mismanaged knee of anyone I know.

Comments